Halloumi


HELLO! Welcome back to my blog. It is a Greek theme in blog number three having visited one of my go-to restaurants!


This week I have visited Halloumi, Glasgow.

If you live near a train station then Halloumi would be perfect for you! Located smack-bang in between two of the main stations in Glasgow City Centre Halloumi is one of the most accessible locations I have visited so far. It is a short four minute walk from Glasgow Central station and similarly Glasgow Queen Street station is only a seven minute walk away. 

Halloumi is a Greek-Cypriot Mezze restaurant. Which in turn suggests the food derives from both Greece and Cyprus origins. The mezze option reflects that of the “Spanish tapas” concept – where the dishes are small but plentiful. The restaurant provides the authenticity of an actual Greek establishment – without the deliberate plate-smashing and erratic Greek dancers. For those who have been to Greece, you may be aware of the Greek patriotism surrounding the colours of the flag. Well, Halloumi utilises that concept within its colour palette by painting the walls a pale blue and a hanging luminous blue sign above the front door. 

The mezze dishes reflect the larger Greek-Cypriot dishes that the two countries offer. There is a host of classic vegetarian mezzes available such as tzatziki (pronounced taa-zeeky), souvlaki, olives and feta,burgers and the holy-grail - a range of gyros (pronounced yee-ros).

Having already been to Halloumi three times prior to this occasion, I was familiarized with the menu and the ordering structure. The restaurant recommends ordering 2-3 dishes each to share. Following the recent haloumi-craze and abiding by its name sake – I ordered the halloumi gyros. This consists of a toasted flatbread filled with tzatziki, salad, chips and of course – halloumi. I also shared the Greek Mac’n’Cheese with a friend which I can honestly say was one of the best macaroni’s I have ever tried. We also shared the tzatziki and pita as well as the galaktoboureko (good luck pronouncing that!). Clearly 2-3 dishes wasn't enough for me… Can I still say I’m growing aged 20?

Halloumi has always been a star restaurant for me. For those with skepticism about Greek food, there really is no worry! The food is delicious and I couldn’t’ recommend it enough for those veggies that can’t get enough cheese. I could probably survive solely on halloumi gyros! 

                                                Until next time,
                                                     Caitlin x                                             




Instagram: @halloumiglasgow
Website: www.halloumiglasgow.co.uk
Facebook: Halloumi Glasgow


Comments

  1. This sounds and looks lovely. It looks as though it’s worth a wee visit 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing!! Need to try when I'm next in the area :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving these blogs, introducing me to lovely new places. I've passed Halloumi and wondered... Now I'll go in. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts