Topolabamba

HELLO! Welcome back to my blog. In this edition of Glasgow Goes Veggie I have spiced up my life with some Mexican food!

Glasgow is famous for its variety of bars and restaurants and in the centre of these is Topolabamba.

Since opening five years ago, Topolabamba has found success in Glasgow City Centre. The ever-booked restaurant is consistently full of life. 

I say “life” ironically as the Mexican bar and restaurant uses the Sugar Skull concept in it design – most commonly associated with the Mexican celebration “Day of the Dead”. Maintaining a culturally conscious theme is key with Topolabamba as the restaurant also utilises Mexican lanterns in a vibrant and colourful fashion. For those searching for an authentic Mexican restaurant Topolabamba is perfect for a mid-week fiesta!

The restaurant has an array of menus from Street Food; tacos, tostadas, taquitos and quesadillas. (Who doesn’t love street food!) There is also the classic Mexican section where the more traditional dishes are. As for the vegetarian options? Well, let’s just say Mexican’s love their meat. There may not be an excess of veggie options but the ones that do exist are delicious.

Between three people we ordered a LOT of dishes. I love picky food. What do I mean by picky? I mean sharing lots of dishes between people and tasting the various items. That’s why Street Food is ideal. Picture a van at a festival – small dishes, easy to hold but satisfying to the taste. 

I had the guacamole, black bean and corn tostada topped with crumbly cheese (insert drooling emoji). I also ordered the sweet potato and black bean quesadilla – a less messy approach to the tostada. Collectively we shared the jalapeno poppers (have your juice at arms-length) these have jalapenos, molito cheese and corn, breadcrumbed in a roasted bravo sauce. Then from the Classic Menu I ordered the puebla stuffed poblano pepper which was equally as delightful.

Basing my assumption solely off of this menu, I can conclude that vegetarians wouldn’t have much success in Mexico. The vegetarian dishes available were tasty – Topolabamba has positively added unique flavours and spices to classic veggie options. Overall, a filling experience in Topolabamba, would love to come back at the weekend to try some of the fruity cocktails!
                           
                                        Until next time,
                                                           Caitlin x 

Instagram: @topolabamba
Facebook: Topolabamba
Website: www.topolabamba.com

Comments

  1. Another one I pass all the time on the bus! After reading your review, I might need to forego my favourite Chaakoo and go farther along toTopolabamba. A mid-week fiesta sounds just the thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to trying this one

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts